Technology Roadmapping (TR) is a planning process that is driven by the projected needs of tomorrow’s markets.. It helps companies to identify, select and develop technology alternatives to satisfy future service, product or operational needs. Bringing a structured visual platform for communication between functions and organizations it together the experts and specialists of the company to develop a framework for organizing and presenting information to make the right technology investment decisions. Basic overview of technology roadmap is shown on the Figure 1.
Figure …. . Schematic multi-layered roadmap, aligning multiple perspectives, highlighting fundamental generic strategic questions in red 
TR was originally developed by Motorolla in the 70’s. The idea behind was aligning development of their products and their supporting technologies. Subsequently, the concept was adopted by other technological companies.
According to study from the experts , ,  main benefits what bring TR are following:
- helps an industry predict the market’s future technology and product need;
- defines the “road” that industry must take to compete successfully in tomorrow’s markets;
- guides technology R&D decisions;
- increases collaboration, shared knowledge and new partnerships;
- reduces the risk of costly investment in technology;
- helps the industry seize future marketing opportunities;
Experts ,  outlined that roadmaps can have different applications. Some of these are classified in following table:
|Table 1. Fields of using of roadmaps |
|Planning of product||This roadmap shows what technologies are important to use in order to develop specific product.|
|Planning of services and capabilities||The roadmap focuses on how the technologies foster than development of capabilities that allows contributing of the service.|
|Strategic planning||Show strategic perspecive on different opportunities that market and business tendencies can offer.|
|Long run planning||Shows long-term technology development process|
|Capabilities and knowledge planning||Aligns knowledge and business goals|
|Project planning||Here roadmap alligns the different project activities|
|Process planning||Manages knowledge in order to focus on a particular area of the business|
|Integration planning||Gives a vision about integration and evolution of the technology. Additionally, it outlines main products and systems in order to create new technologies|
In a period when technology and markets are changing more and more rapidly industry needs solutions that address today’s pressing needs and tomorrow’s market goals. Therefore, companies want and need new partnerships to support their own technology strategies and common needs demand leveraged solutions.
- Industry Canada, Technology roadmapping: a strategy for success. Industry Canada, Ottawa.
- Siegfried B., Lorenz E., (2006), Integriertes Technologie-Roadmapping zur Unterstützung nachhaltigkeits-orientierter Innovationsprozesse, WerkstattBericht Nr. 84, Institut für Zukunftsstudien und Technologiebewertung, Berlin.
- University Cambridge, Roadmapping for strategy and innovation, available at: http://www.ifm.eng.cam.ac.uk/roadmapping/research/ (accessed January 2016)
- Robert P., (2015), Roadmapping for strategy and innovation, Centre for Technology Management of institute for Manufacturing of University of Cambridge